Sunday, September 19, 2010

Discussion Questions

1. I believe that the amateur or "homegrown" productions will continue to be seen because it is a new way for companies to be advertising.  I don't believe that it will hurt production value of professionals because they are called professionals for a reason.  If they weren't around, we wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and the amateurs- basically I don't think they one will exist without the other.  The user-generated content I'm sure will get better in quality, but I don't think it will soon reach the quality of the professionals.

2.  I definitely find myself using Facebook the most out of social network sites mainly because literally everybody I know has a Facebook so it's a convenient way of communicating.  As somebody who has had both a MySpace and a Facebook, the difference is just the maturity.  MySpace was over concerned with cool backgrounds you could download, while Facebook is more concerned with the functionality of the site.  You can tell this because I often find my homepage being revamped to make navigation easier.  As of now I don't see Facebook dying out, however I'm sure eventually something will surpass it, but for now its a convenient way of keeping in touch for users of all ages while MySpace was usually just for teens to play around with after school.

3.  I think that transparency is such an important concept in the social media world because from the examples I read, it basically implies lying or letting money and other reactions influence what you do.  It is just as important if not more than in the offline world because while I consider it to be manipulative and sneaky in both contexts, the Social Media World can access more people at a much faster rate which can be dangerous in such situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment